Melt the butter. Zest the oranges. Whip the double cream. Juice half, zest the whole of the oranges.
- 1 Heat oven to 170C. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cases.
- 2 Put the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for 2 minutes, or use a food processor until the mixture is well-combined and smooth.
- 3 Spoon the cake mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
- 4 Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 mins, or until the cakes are golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 5 Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins, then lift the paper cases out of the tin to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- 6 While the cakes are cooling, prepare the icing.
- 7 Combine the orange zest, juice and whipped cream, and place in a piping bag.
- 8 Place the lemon curd in a separate piping bag.
- 9 Once the cakes are cooled, use a serrated knife to cut a disc from the top of each cake, then cut the discs in half.
- 10 Ice the tops of the cakes; using the piping bags, pipe small, alternating dollops of the orange cream and lemon curd in a circle around the edge of the cupcake tops.
- 11 Then fill in the centre of each circle with a dollop of lemon curd.
- 12 Place your disk halves, round side down, in the centre of the lemon curd to form a butterfly shape.
- 13 Top with a dusting of icing sugar, and serve.
Very easy to make and very tasty. Enjoyed by all!
Really tasty, although I recommend using normal buttercream icing with zest, as the icing in the recipe was too thin.
- Average per serving
- Calories 264.0kCal