Choose dill, parsley, basil and mint and finely chop the mixed fresh herbs. Chop the rosebud cooked beetroot.
- 1 Put the potatoes in a saucepan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Cover with water and bring slowly to the boil.
- 2 Simmer for 7-8 minutes, until just-cooked on the outside but not quite tender in the middle.
- 3 Drain well and, when just cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely grate. Season the grated potato with salt and pepper, and toss with the chopped herbs.
- 4 Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil, lower the eggs in and simmer for 7 minutes.
- 5 Drain immediately and run under cool water, cracking the shells slightly against the edge of the sink. Peel and set aside.
- 6 Melt half the butter and oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan; or, if making individual rostis, use a large, non-stick frying pan and grease the insides of four, 9cm-diameter metal cooking rings with extra butter.
- 7 To make a large rosti, add the potato mixture to the sizzling butter and oil.
- 8 Cook gently for 4-5 minutes, then use a spatula to press the mixture down into a flat cake.
- 9 After 2-3 minutes of cooking, run a palette knife around the edge to loosen the rosti. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp underneath.
- 10 Place a plate over the pan and invert the rosti onto it.
- 11 Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan on the heat and return the rosti to cook the underside for about 10 minutes, until golden. Turn out onto a chopping board and cut into quarters.
- 12 Alternatively, to make individual rosti, arrange the greased rings in the large frying pan and divide the rosti mixture between them.
- 13 Press down with the back of a spoon, flattening the tops, and cook for 10 minutes until golden underneath.
- 14 Run a knife around the inside of each ring and invert the rings, making sure the rosti mixture is touching the base of the frying pan.
- 15 Cook for 8-10 minutes more and turn out onto serving plates.
- 16 Slice the eggs into discs.
- 17 Top each rosti quarter or rosti with slices of smoked salmon, one quarter of the sliced egg, 1 tsp soured cream and dill sprigs.
- 18 Season with black pepper and accompany with the chopped beetroot.
- Average per serving
- Calories 1.0kCal