Crush the garlic cloves. Peel and halve the carrots lengthways. Soak the yellow split peas overnight in cold water then drain. Peel and grate the fresh root ginger. Roughly chop the fresh coriander.
- 1 Boil the split peas in unsalted water for 40 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 3 Put the carrots in a roasting tin, drizzle with half of the oil, season and roast for 30 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 4 Dry-fry the seeds for 2 minutes; crush in a pestle and mortar.
- 5 Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the spices, garlic and ginger; cook for 2 minutes.
- 6 Reserve ½ tbsp coconut milk per serving being made and pour the rest into the pan, along with the water. Bring to a simmer.
- 7 Drain the split peas and stir into the milk – season, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, adding extra water if needed.
- 8 Stir in most of the coriander.
- 9 Top with the carrots, leftover coconut milk and remaining coriander. Serve with rice, if you like.
Instructions were quite confusing and it was very bland, would not cook again
- Average per serving
- Calories 490.0kCal