Soften the butter. Quarter the strawberries.
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Grease 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins per cake being made and line the bases with baking paper.
- 2 For the sponge, put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat together well.
- 3 Add half of the eggs, the vanilla extract and half of the flour; beat well.
- 4 Add the remaining eggs, flour and baking powder, and beat until combined. If the mixture is stiff, add 1-2 tbsp warm water.
- 5 Divide the mixture equally between the tins and level the tops. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, then leave to cool in the tins.
- 6 Once completely cool, remove from the tins. Place one sponge on a serving dish and spread with the jam.
- 7 For the filling, put the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whip until thick.
- 8 Dollop the cream on the jam, top with the other sponge and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- 9 Decorate with the strawberries.
- Average per serving
- Calories 505.0kCal