Zest the unwaxed lemons. Dice the unsalted butter.
- 1 Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 (200°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 3 Add the caster sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- 4 Stir the lemon juice into the milk.
- 5 Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk. Mix in until it starts to come together, then use your hands to lightly knead the dough into a ball.
- 6 Press or roll the dough out to 2.5cm thickness.
- 7 Use a 5cm round cutter to cut out the scones. Arrange on a buttered baking tray, then re-roll the trimmings and cut out more scones.
- 8 Brush the tops with a little milk and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- 9 Bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.
- 10 Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm with clotted cream and jam.
Delicious! Perfect summer treat. The dough is a little sticky and could probably use a bit less of the milk.
- Average per serving
- Calories 135.0kCal