Zest and juice the lemons. Zest and juice the oranges. Soften the butter. Sift the icing sugar.
For the Cake
For the Sauce
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Grease 1 large (900g) loaf tin per cake and line the base with baking paper.
- 2 Put the caster sugar, butter and most of the lemon and orange zest in a bowl and beat together until pale and creamy.
- 3 Add the milk, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a spoonful of flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- 4 Fold in the remaining flour.
- 5 Spoon into the prepared tin(s) and level the surface.
- 6 Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Don’t worry if you see the cake peak in the middle and split – it adds character and will give you a crunchier drizzle topping.
- 7 Meanwhile, pour the lemon and orange juice into a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce to about 3 tbsp per cake being made.
- 8 Leave to cool, then stir in the granulated sugar so it just starts to dissolve.
- 9 As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick it several times with a skewer, then slowly pour the syrup over the top, letting it soak into the cake.
- 10 Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning it out.
- 11 For the sauce, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over the cake, then top with the remaining lemon and orange zest.
I made 12 loaf size and my husband says there to diet for. Thank you
I have made this loaf cake a few times and it never fails.
- Average per serving
- Calories 304.0kCal