Finely slice the onions. Crush the garlic cloves. Drain and rinse the mixed beans or butter beans or red kidney beans. Cut the taleggio into small pieces. Roughly tear the fresh basil.
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- 2 Add the onions, season and sweat them for 10 – 15 mins, until just soft.
- 3 Add the garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- 4 Stir in the chopped tomatoes, vinegar and maple syrup.
- 5 Simmer gently for 15 mins and season to taste.
- 6 At this stage you can blend the sauce until smooth if you like.
- 7 Heat the grill to high and toast the bread.
- 8 Warm the beans through in the sauce.
- 9 Pile onto the toast and dot the taleggio on top.
- 10 Grill until the cheese is bubbling.
- 11 Sprinkle the basil on just before serving with an extra pinch of black pepper.
- 12 Experiment with different types of beans, cheese and herbs.
- 13 You could try red kidney beans with feta or Montgomery cheddar and parsley or thyme.
- Average per serving
- Calories 462.0kCal