- 1 Preheat the oven to 220’C (fan 200’C) gas 8. Put a round lidded casserole dish (approx.4 litre or 23 cm dia.) in the oven to heat up.
- 2 Mix the milk with the lemon juice and leave to stand for 5 minutes during which time the milk will curdle and become soured.
- 3 Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl then add most of the soured milk. Work from the centre, mixing with one hand and add more milk if necessary - the dough should be soft but not sticky.
- 4 Roughly shape the dough into a shallow round loaf about 4cm thick. Remove the hot casserole dish from the oven, dust the inside lightly with flour then drop the dough in. Cover with the lid and return to the oven.
- 5 Bake for 25 minutes then remove from oven and leave in place for 5 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool slightly before eating.
A nice bread, but it needs to bake for more than 25 minutes. 35-40 minutes is much better or else it is raw on the inside.
Delicious great with soup and also toasted the next few days. So easy to make.
Delicious and very easy to make. I found it needed more like 45mins to bake though, 25mins wasn't long enough.
Brilliant recipe- came out perfectly and definitely didn’t need any more than the time stated. So easy to make and tasted great. With items we always have in our cupboard I will definitely be making again
I've made this 3 times and it's been perfect every time following the instructions. Am about to make it again today. Thanks
Not the best soda bread. Should be made with plain flour. For better/ results forget the cooking method you recommend it's a much better if cooked on a lined baking tray.
Lx Magster has always hed FS gonna
- Average per serving
- Calories 254.0kCal