Finely grate the Parmesan. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Slice the medium leeks.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- 2 Heat 1 tsp of olive oil over a medium heat in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- 3 Season the chicken legs, then add to the pan and heat until golden all over.
- 4 Remove from the dish and set aside. In the same dish, add the leeks, bay leaf, thyme and half the chopped garlic and sweat, with the lid on, for 5 minutes, until softened.
- 5 Remove the lid, add the cooked pearl barley and stock, and bring to the boil. Return the chicken to the dish, pop the lid back on and put in the oven for 35 minutes.
- 6 In the meantime, make the pesto. Bring a pan of seasoned water to the boil. Add the remaining garlic, then 20 seconds later add the parsley.
- 7 After 10 seconds, refresh everything in iced water. Drain. Blitz the parsley, garlic, parmesan and walnuts in a blender, adding the olive oil gradually, until you have a pesto consistency. Season and set aside.
- 8 When the chicken is ready, remove from the oven and stir in the crème fraîche. Spoon into four bowls with a spoonful of pesto on the top of each.
- Average per serving
- Calories 543.0kCal