- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5
- 2 To spatchcock the chicken, lay it breast-side down on a clean board.
- 3 Using a sharp knife and starting at the thigh end, cut down each side of the back bone and remove it
- 4 Turn over the chicken and open it out like a book, pressing firmly on the breast to flatten it.
- 5 Put the chicken in a roasting tin and rub the skin with olive oil.
- 6 Season with salt and pepper.
- 7 Add the chicken stock, bay leaves and parsley stalks, and cover with foil
- 8 Cook in the oven for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for another 40 minutes.
- 9 Carefully remove the chicken from the tin (don’t discard the stock) and transfer to a board
- 10 Cover the chicken with foil and leave to rest while you make the sauce.
- 11 Put the roasting tin on the hob and bring the stock to a simmer over a medium heat
- 12 Add the spring greens and cook for 5 minutes, then add the peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 13 Turn off the heat and stir in the crème fraîche, mustard and lemon juice, if using.
- 14 Garnish with parsley leaves to serve.
- 15 Divide the vegetables and sauce among 4 serving bowls
- 16 Carve the chicken and place on top, and serve with crushed potatoes.
I found the cooking times were too long, the chicken came out early and was still a bit dry which was a shame. This was fine for a trial but didn't find the stock very flavoursome which was a shame, it was just missing something.