Finely zest the unwaxed lemons. Beat the eggs. Soften the unsalted butter. Sift the self-raising flour. Soften the unsalted butter. Sift the icing sugar.
For the Sponge
For the Frosting
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Line one 12-hole muffin tin per 12 cupcakes you plan to make with paper cases.
- 2 In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until creamy.
- 3 Beat in the sugar and zest, and beat for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 4 Gradually add the eggs, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5 Using a large metal spoon, fold in the flour in 3 batches alternately with the buttermilk.
- 6 Add the lemon juice and mix in thoroughly.
- 7 Spoon the mixture evenly among the paper cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- 8 Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
- 9 To make the frosting, beat the butter until creamy.
- 10 Gradually beat in the sugar.
- 11 When the mixture is smooth, beat in the lemon curd and colouring.
- 12 If necessary, chill the frosting until firm but spreadable.
- 13 Ice the cupcake using a round-bladed knife or a piping bag fitted with a star tube.
- 14 Sprinkle with the extra lemon zest.
Yum. It is amazing 😉
- Average per serving
- Calories 330.0kCal