Cut into thin wedges and peel the Simply M&S large red onions. Cut into wedges, quarter and core the Simply M&S small apples. Peel and slice the Simply M&S onions.
- 1 Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- 2 Pour ½ tbsp oil into each of 4 small pie dishes and put in the oven for 5 minutes, until smoking.
- 3 Divide the sausages, red onion and apples among the dishes and coat in the oil, then bake for 10-15 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- 5 Make a well, add the eggs and milk, then whisk until thick and smooth.
- 6 Stir in the cider, sage, and salt and pepper.
- 7 Pour the batter over the sausages.
- 8 Bake for 25-30 minutes until well risen and golden.
- 9 If making the gravy, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions for 10-15 minutes.
- 10 Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 11 Gradually stir in the stock and cider, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, until thickened and glossy.
- 12 Season to taste and serve the gravy with the toad in the hole.
Nice to have the apple and onion as part of the batter. Classic combination of flavours, was delicious
Made this for the family and everyone LOVED it even my picky 11 year old daughter. Will definitely make this again.
Easy to make & absolutely delicious!