Cut the lemons into wedges. Defrost the frozen calamari.
- 1 Sift the flours into a bowl, season, and gradually whisk in the water until the mixture is the thickness of double cream.
- 2 Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. To test if it’s hot enough, add a cube of bread – it should brown in 30 seconds.
- 3 Dip a third of the calamari into the batter to coat, and lower into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until light golden and crisp.
- 4 Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- 5 Repeat, cooking in batches.
- 6 Season and serve with the mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
- Average per serving
- Calories 291.0kCal