Zest then quarter the oranges. Crush the garlic cloves. Quarter the red onions. Reserve some seeds to add later for an extra kick, after you deseed and dice the jalapeño chillies. Crush the garlic cloves. Juice the limes.
- 1 In a bowl, mix together the oil, orange zest, garlic, sumac and a pinch of salt.
- 2 Rub the marinade over the chicken, working it into all the nooks and crannies, and put the orange quarters into the cavity.
- 3 Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins (or ideally overnight).
- 4 To make the hot sauce, grind all the spices to a fine powder.
- 5 Put them in a food processor with the jalapeños, garlic, herbs (including stems), oil and 50ml water, and blend until almost smooth.
- 6 Stir in the lime juice and season to taste. Set aside.
- 7 Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- 8 Put the chicken and onions in a roasting tray and cook for 20 mins.
- 9 Reduce the temperature to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and roast for a further hour, or until the juices run clear when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer.
- 10 Remove from the oven and transfer to a dish or board.
- 11 Cover with foil and leave to rest for 20 mins.
- 12 Carve the chicken, and serve with the onions and the hot sauce to pour over.
- Average per serving
- Calories 378.0kCal