Cut the Madeira loaf cake into small cubes.
- 1 Halve 2 strawberries and set aside. Hull and quarter the rest and put in a bowl with 1 tsp of the rose water and 1 tbsp caster sugar. Mix well and cover.
- 2 Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds and place them in a pan with the milk. Heat gently until almost boiling.
- 3 Whisk together the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour in a bowl and add the hot milk, whisking all the time.
- 4 Return the mixture to the rinsed-out pan and stir over a gentle heat until thickened the set aside to cool.
- 5 Divide the strawberries (reserving the syrup in the bowl) among 4 serving glasses.
- 6 Tip the cake into the syrup and stir to soak it up, then arrange on top of the strawberries.
- 7 Spoon the custard over the cake. Add the remaining rose water to the cream and whip to soft peaks.
- 8 Spoon on top of the custard and decorate with a half-strawberry. Chill for 1 hour.