Sieve the plain flour. Cube the butter.
- 1 In a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour using the tips of your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 2 Sieve in the icing sugar, stir to combine, then add the egg yolk and sprinkle over the water.
- 3 Bring the mixture together with your hands, kneading a couple of times to form a soft dough.
- 4 Wrap in cling-film and put in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- 5 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180°C for fan ovens).
- 6 Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and, using a 7.5cm cutter, stamp out 1 disc per tart being made and place them in bun tins.
- 7 Fill each pastry case with 1 heaped tsp jam, but do not overfill.
- 8 Bake for about 15 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Really lovely sweet crumbly pastry. I felt a bit daunted at the thought of making pastry but with clear instructions it was a complete success. I'll definitely be making these for cricket tea.
Great, delicious tarts
Very easy and quick to make, delicious!
First time making pastry, was really pleased with end result, tarts are very tasty, well done M&S for yet another tasty, and easy recipe
So simple and yummy.
Fantastic quick easy recipe, I also did lemon curd as well lovely family favourite.
First ever time I've made pastry so I'm no Mary Berry, but these are so good. They are very easy even for a beginner like me. The pastry just melts in your mouth and they went down extremely well with the family.