Trim and remove the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts. Cut the smoked streaky bacon into small pieces. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- 1 Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil; add the sprouts and cook for 4-5 minutes (or until just tender).
- 2 Drain, and run under cold tap water (until the sprouts are cold).
- 3 Drain again and set aside.
- 4 In a large frying pan over medium heat, sauté the chopped bacon until crisp.
- 5 Remove the bacon from the pan (leaving any excess fat behind); set aside.
- 6 Add half the butter to the pan.
- 7 When the butter starts to foam, add the onion and fry for two minutes – or until they start to soften.
- 8 Add the rest of the butter to the pan, then the Brussel sprouts and chestnuts.
- 9 Season with salt and pepper.
- 10 Cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently – until the sprouts are golden, and the chestnuts are hot.
- 11 Stir in the bacon, and season with salt and pepper.
- 12 Transfer to a dish and serve warm.
Made this on Christmas day, I will only serve brussel sprouts this way from now on. I’ve had them with bacon before but the onion and added crunch of the chestnuts make them so delicious. Another recipe my kids wolfed down from this app.
Very tasty way of eating sprouts. However it takes longer and serves more than recipe says. No mention of halving sprouts (as in picture)! Very popular though.
- Average per serving
- Calories 270.0kCal