Finely chop the garlic cloves. Finely chop the red chillis. Roughly chop the pitted green olives. Tear the leaves of (reserve some to garnish) the fresh basil.
- 1 Give the tomatoes a really good squash with your hands and tear them into pieces.
- 2 Put them into a large heatproof bowl, and stir in the olive oil, garlic, chilli, olives, sugar and half the basil; then season.
- 3 Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- 4 Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions.
- 5 Drain well and immediately tip it into the tomato mixture.
- 6 Add the remaining torn basil and mix well.
- 7 Garnish with the reserved basil leaves and serve with grated Parmesan, if you like.
Has the ground to be a lovely meal, I halved the recipe for two and feel it could have done with a few more tomatoes as well as deseeding them to make the end dish a bit less watery. Overall flavour was lovely, the olives were a great touch. Topped ours with some crumbly goats cheese which also worked well.
Not a fan of spaghetti... Otherwise delicious