(optional) deseed and chop the red chillis. Grate the fresh ginger. Peel, core and chop the large apples. Chop the red onions. Chop the ripe tomatoes.
- 1 Wash the jam jars and lids in hot soapy water and drain on a clean tea towel.
- 2 Stand them on a clean baking sheet, then place in a warm oven for 10 minutes to sterilise.
- 3 Remove from the oven and set aside.
- 4 Put the tomatoes, onions, apples and sugar in a pan.
- 5 Stir over a gentle heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- 6 Increase the heat, then add the ginger, chilli and cardamom, if using, and vinegar.
- 7 Bring to the boil and simmer vigorously for about 1 hour, until the mixture is thick and shiny.
- 8 Transfer the chutney into the sterilised jars, and leave to cool a little before sealing with the lids.
This was my first time making chutney. Loved this recipe, easy to make and had a nice spicy kick to it!
Easy to make & tastes great! Looking forward to having with cheese and crackers over Christmas.
- Average per serving
- Calories kCal