Peel and grate the carrots. Finely chop the piece fresh ginger. Deseed and dice the red chillis. Mince the garlic cloves.
- 1 Sterilise 2 glass jam jars as follows.
- 2 Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- 3 Wash the jars in hot, soapy water, then rinse well.
- 4 Put the wet jars on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 15 mins, or until completely dry.
- 5 Place the lids in a pan of boiling water, then remove with tongs and leave to dry on a clean tea towel.
- 6 In a large saucepan, bring the sugar and vinegar to boil.
- 7 Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- 8 Bring to a boil again, then reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, until thick.
- 9 Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 10 Transfer to the sterilised jars and store in the fridge.
- 11 Perfect served in a grilled Cheddar cheese sandwich.
I tried this recipe when dealing with a glut of carrots As I could not find carrot juice, I substituted apple juice. The recipe works up until the point when the apple/carrot juice is added I followed the amount but it was just too much. Maybe 75ml would have been enough. I had to boil it to death to get rid of the excess liquid Had a taste test today. Now it's clear I'm going to have to make it again. As recommended, it goes very well with cheese