Soften the butter. Peel, core and cut the Cox apples into wedges.
- 1 Grease one 23cm springform baking tin per cake and line the base. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, the beat in the eggs one at a time, stirring in 1 tbsp flour after each one.
- 3 Sift in the remaining flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and gently fold the mixture until combined.
- 4 Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and use a spatula to level off the surface. Push the apple wedges into the top of the cake and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 5 Meanwhile, put all the streusel ingredients into a bowl and rub together with your fingertips to form a chunky breadcrumb consistency.
- 6 Quickly remove the cake from the oven and scatter the crumbs over the surface, then bake for a further 20 minutes.
- 7 Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve with the crème fraîche.
- Average per serving
- Calories 430.0kCal