Core and shred the red cabbages. Chop the red onions. Peel, core and chop the bramley apples.
- 1 Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- 2 Add the onions and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until they start to soften.
- 3 Turn the heat down to low.
- 4 Add the spices to the onion, and stir.
- 5 Then add the sugar, cabbage, apple, cider vinegar and cider orwater.
- 6 Mix well.
- 7 Cover with a lid and leave to cook slowly on a low heat for about 1 hour or until the cabbage is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- 8 Make sure the bottom of the pan does not burn and stick during cooking; stir contents and top up with a little water as you go, if necessary.
- 9 When the cabbage is ready, season to taste with salt and pepper.
We added sultanas as well, the proper traditional recipe. It's Easy, hearty, can go as a side to many different dishes, good with a roast dinner