Finely chop the white onion. Boiled, peeled and cut lengthways into quarters the eggs. Chop the fresh parsley or coriander.
- 1 Heat the butter in a large pan until foaming, add the onion and curry powder and fry until soft and translucent. Add the pearl barley and combine well.
- 2 Pour in the stock and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 30-35 mins or until the barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3 If the pan starts to dry out before the barley is ready, use some of the poaching liquid from the haddock to top it up
- 4 While that is cooking, place the haddock in a large saucepan and cover with milk. Add a bay leaf and a pinch of black pepper to the milk.
- 5 Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and leave to simmer for 5 mins, or until the fish is cooked.
- 6 Lift haddock onto a plate, drain/let cool and then flake into pieces.
- 7 Once the barley is ready, add the flaked fish, parsley/coriander and eggs to the pot. Season to taste. Stir gently until everything is warm, and well combined.
- 8 Serve immediately, with wedges of lemon to squeeze.
- Average per serving
- Calories 736.0kCal