Warm the semi skimmed milk. Melt the butter. Dice the unsalted butter.
- 1 To make the doughnuts, empty the mix into a large mixing bowl, add milk and mix to form a dough.
- 2 On a clean surface, knead for 5 minutes until the dough is a smooth ball.
- 3 Place in a clean bowl and cover with cling film, leave to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 4 While they’re proving, make the glaze by melting the butter, milk, cream, sugar and salt together in a medium nonstick saucepan.
- 5 Stir continuously and bring to the boil.
- 6 Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7 Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- 8 After proving, knead the dough for 30 seconds and cut into 6 equal size pieces.
- 9 Gently roll the pieces into a ball shape and then flatten with the palm of your hand to form a disc.
- 10 Place on a baking tray, leaving space between them.
- 11 Cover and prove for a further 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 12 Preheat the oven to 190 fan.
- 13 To make the popcorn, put a large pot with a lid over a medium-high heat and add the oil and salt.
- 14 Drop in a couple of popcorn kernels and cover the pan with a lid.
- 15 When the kernels start to pop, add the rest of the corn and cover with the lid.
- 16 Shake the pan to evenly coat the kernels, and leave to heat up, shaking the pan around to make sure the unpopped kernels get to the heat, and the popped ones don’t burn.
- 17 Set the lid slightly ajar to release some of the heat and make for crisper popcorn.
- 18 Once the popcorn has stopped popping every few seconds, take it off the heat and leave to one side until all the popping has stopped completely.
- 19 Once the doughnuts have proved, flatten them down again to a disc shape, brush gently with a third of the melted butter.
- 20 Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, then remove and cut out a hole in the middle of each one using a small cookie cutter or empty wine bottle neck.
- 21 Brush with another third of the melted butter and bake for a further 6 minutes.
- 22 Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then brush with the salted butterscotch glaze.
- 23 Top with the popcorn and more sauce to serve.
Doughnuts shocking such a shame
Indulgent...the flavours were good but the popcorn was unnecessary and doughnuts a bit stodgy.
- Average per serving
- Calories 2361.0kCal