Finely zest and juice the lemons. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Drain and chop the anchovy fillets in oil. Divide the sprigs of fresh rosemary into smaller sprigs. Drain, rinse and chop the capers. Chop the shallots. Roughly chop the parsley. Roughly chop the basil. Roughly chop the mint.
- 1 Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 (200°C for fan ovens). Put the lamb in a large roasting tin.
- 2 Mix together the oil, lemon zest, three-quarters of the garlic and half the anchovies.
- 3 Using a sharp knife, make small incisions all over the lamb. Spread the mixture over to coat, then push small rosemary sprigs into the slits.
- 4 Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 170°C/325°F/ gas 3 (150°C for fan ovens).
- 5 Roast for a further 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes depending on your preference (the lower end will be medium rare, upper end medium to well done).
- 6 Leave the lamb to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 7 Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Put the remaining anchovies and garlic, capers and shallot in a food processor and pulse briefly until roughly chopped.
- 8 Add the herbs, mustard and lemon juice and pulse briefly to combine.
- 9 Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with the lamb, to spoon over.
- Average per serving
- Calories 305.0kCal