Chop the garlic cloves. Peel and dice the parsnips. Peel and dice the swedes. Peel and chop the potatoes.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Put the parsnips, swede and garlic in a roasting tin, drizzle with 1/3 of the olive oil, plus the honey, and season. Mix everything well and roast for 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 3 Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- 4 Drain well and mash with the butter until smooth.
- 5 Stir in the parsley, then fold in the roast parsnip and swede mixture.
- 6 Beat 1 egg per 4 servings and fold it in. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 7 Shape the mixture squally so there are 2 per person. Dust with flour. Place on a plate, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- 8 Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the cakes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm.
- 9 Poach the eggs in a pan of shallow simmering water for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are set.
- 10 Grill the bacon for 2-3 minutes each side until golden.
- 11 Serve two root cakes and two rashers of bacon per person, with an egg on top, and season.
- Average per serving
- Calories 495.0kCal