Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Peel and finely grate the piece of ginger. Deseed and finely dice the red chillis. Peel and remove the seeds of the pumpkin (approximately 1kg in weight). Finely chop 4 of the sage leaves.
- 1 Make the dip by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
- 2 Cut the pumpkin in half lengthways and cut into slices approximately 2cm wide.
- 3 Set aside.
- 4 Heat the oil in a deep-sided, heavy-based pan until hot. Make the batter.
- 5 In a bowl, combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt and chopped sage.
- 6 Slowly whisk in the cold sparkling water until the batter has the consistency of single cream – don’t worry about any small lumps, they will disappear.
- 7 Test if the oil is the right temperature by dropping a teaspoon of batter into the pan – if it cooks quickly, the oil is ready.
- 8 Dip the pumpkin slices into the batter and carefully add to the pan.
- 9 Cook in the hot oil, in batches of 5-6 at a time, for 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- 10 Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- 11 Finally, dip the whole sage leaves and chillies into the remaining batter and deep fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- 12 Serve immediately with the soy dip.
- Average per serving
- Calories 409.0kCal