Finely chop the onions. Peel and dice the white potatoes. Crush the garlic cloves. Grate the mature Cheddar.
- 1 Melt the butter in a pan, then cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
- 2 Add the potatoes and stock, and bring to the boil; simmer for 15 minutes. Move on to the next step while you wait.
- 3 Dry-fry the bacon until crispy, then set aside.
- 4 Add the milk to the soup and warm through.
- 5 Remove from the heat, stir through three-quarters of the cheese, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth.
- 6 Season to taste, adding a little water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- 7 Divide among bowls to serve and garnish with the bacon and the remaining cheese.
It's so easy to make that next time we are having it I'm going to let my 13 year old make it and it tastes great too
I am not a confident cook but this soup was not only easy but very tasty loved it..
So easy to make and beautifully tasty!!! Makes the most amazing hearty lunch tucked up infront of the fire with some homemade rustic bread! A*
Really delicious recipe. I've made it twice already and will definitely make it again. I take it in as a lunch sometimes without the bacon so having it at home with is a real treat.
Easy to make with store cupboard ingredients and tastes delicious.
Amazing recipe can't wait to do more of them regards john
Made this soup 3 times as the family loves it!!! Easy and very tasty!!'
Fabulous soup, freezes well. A regular for me, have adapted it to make it healthier and still tastes good.
Family loved this - had to make another pot the following night