Thinly slice the red onions. Chop the fresh thyme. Smash the garlic cloves. Chop into 2.5cm pieces the curly kale or cavolo nero. Grate the Gruyère.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Peel and trim the parsnips, then cut into slices about the thickness of a pound coin.
- 3 Heat a sauté pan and add the olive oil and red onions.
- 4 Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- 5 Add the thyme and set aside.
- 6 Pour the cream and milk into a wide pan and add the garlic and some salt.
- 7 Bring to a simmer, then add the parsnips and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- 8 Remove the parsnips from the pan, and reserve the liquid.
- 9 Meanwhile, blanch the kale for 2 minutes, then squeeze out the excess water.
- 10 In a deep ovenproof dish, layer the parsnips with the kale and red onion, adding a sprinkle of cheese after each layer.
- 11 Pour over the hot cream and milk and add a final sprinkle of cheese.
- 12 Bake for 30 minutes, then remove and leave to settle for 10 minutes before serving.
This is a beautiful flavoursome dish. Either a main with extra veg or as a veg side dish. Loved it.
Tastes heavenly!!! Takes long to make so it's our weekend treat. But definitely worth trying out!
This was very nice but not sure I'll make again because of all the washing up: a pan to sauté the onions, a large pan to boil the parsnips in the milk& cream, a pan & colander for the kale &finally the baking dish. I agree that more garlic would improve it and generous seasoning. I ended up with kale on the top because I started with parsnip, then onion, kale &cheese ,and then repeated .would have been better doing onion, kale and parsnip so that the final layer was parsnip
Absolutely amazing meal. Really tasty the only thing which I would suggest is adding a bit ore garlic than recipe is showing. Perfect no meat healthy option.
Great meal! Easy to make and tastes c'est magnifique!
- Average per serving
- Calories 163.0kCal