Thinly slice the red onions. Chop the fresh thyme. Smash the garlic cloves. Chop into 2.5cm pieces the curly kale or cavolo nero. Grate the Gruyère.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Peel and trim the parsnips, then cut into slices about the thickness of a pound coin.
- 3 Heat a sauté pan and add the olive oil and red onions.
- 4 Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- 5 Add the thyme and set aside.
- 6 Pour the cream and milk into a wide pan and add the garlic and some salt.
- 7 Bring to a simmer, then add the parsnips and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- 8 Remove the parsnips from the pan, and reserve the liquid.
- 9 Meanwhile, blanch the kale for 2 minutes, then squeeze out the excess water.
- 10 In a deep ovenproof dish, layer the parsnips with the kale and red onion, adding a sprinkle of cheese after each layer.
- 11 Pour over the hot cream and milk and add a final sprinkle of cheese.
- 12 Bake for 30 minutes, then remove and leave to settle for 10 minutes before serving.
Absolutely amazing meal. Really tasty the only thing which I would suggest is adding a bit ore garlic than recipe is showing. Perfect no meat healthy option.
Great meal! Easy to make and tastes c'est magnifique!