Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Thinly slice the onions. Peel and halve the garlic cloves.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- 2 Place the potatoes, onions, and thyme in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Toss gently to combine.
- 4 Using a sharp knife, pierce the lamb shoulder all over with small, deep incisions, and place a piece of garlic or rosemary in each hole.
- 5 Layer the potatoes in your roasting tray (don’t worry about doing this too neatly; rough layering is fine).
- 6 Place the lamb should on top of the potatoes (skin side up, and centred).
- 7 Pour over the stock, so the potatoes are submerged.
- 8 Cover the tray with aluminium foil, and place in the oven.
- 9 Roast the lamb covered for 2 hours, then remove from the oven.
- 10 Dispose of the aluminium foil – then, using the back of a spoon, gently press down on the potatoes so the surface flattens a bit (and the stock/juices rise).
- 11 Return the tray to the oven, and roast for 1 further hour – or until the lamb is tender and cooked through.
- 12 Remove the tray from the oven, and lift the lamb shoulder out onto a chopping board.
- 13 Leave the lamb to rest on the chopping board for 30 mins.
- 14 Meanwhile, turn the oven temperature up to 180C.
- 15 While the lamb is resting, return the potatoes to the oven and cook on the higher heat for 15-20 mins.
- 16 Remove the tray from the oven, and leave to cool for 5-10 mins.
- 17 Place the rested lamb back on top of the potatoes, and serve altogether.
Perfect and so easy for a lovely family meal
Disappointing and no wow factor
Me and my husband love this fish. Simple to make and very tasty. Only criticism is, it's not clear if the oven temp is standard or fan oven temp?
Very tasty meal. I have a fan oven and cooked the lamb for half an hour less than suggested which was perfect. I'll definitely be trying this again!
Very tasty:)! Worth the time investment!
Really enjoyed this and found it easy to prepare, reminded me of Kleftiko
Very tasty and easy to do. Lamb need a lot less time than stated. Will make again
- Average per serving
- Calories 677.0kCal