Chop the onions. Crush the garlic cloves. Dice the large carrots. Skin, seed and roughly chop the large vine tomatoes. Chop the fresh parsley. Chop the fresh mint.
- 1 Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and add the onion, garlic and carrot. Cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
- 2 Stir in the spices and cook for a few seconds, then pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the pearl barley, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- 3 Add the chicken breasts and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 4 Use a knife and fork to shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and return to the pan, along with the tomatoes and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the kale is tender.
- 5 Stir in the herbs and adjust the seasoning to taste.
This is delicious. I never bother to skin the tomatoes although I de-seed them. Really easy to make and great flavours.
This was really delicious! Needed to add a lot more Moroccan seasoning than it says (maybe just to my taste) and a bit of a faff to peel and de-seed the tomatoes. But well worth it!!
Absolutely delicious. So healthy but so tasty. Easy to make your own Moroccan mix too.
This was a star! Went down v well and shall make it again. However I'd prefer chicken to be browned first. Otherwise looks pale and uninteresting. This is a sure fire way to use kale!
I've cooked this now numerous times, it's a really light dish which is great to cook in the autumn or winter between the more stodgier meals. It's also introduced me to peal barley which is delicious. I highly recommend this, it's so easy to cook and with some warm bread rolls it goes down a treat! I couldn't find the correct spices so I've experimented with a couple of others, adding some paprika or a tiny bit of chilly adds another dimension to the dish.
Very delicious and easy to make. Will definitely make this again!
I made this with the help of my 11yr old daughter; easy to cook and delicious!!
We all really enjoyed this. Definitely needs some lovely bread with it, would recommend this, really easy.
Very tasty used 1 tablespoon of spice . Cooked tomatoes same time as pearl barley . Served with Moroccan hummus and seeded pitta bread yummy
Really tasty, added slightly more spice than recipe said and served it with cous cous, family gave it the thumbs up, would definitely make again
Yummy, loved this