Half juice and half slice into rounds the lemon. Peel and halve the garlic cloves.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Keeping the stalk ends intact, slice the aubergines lengthways and fan out the two halves.
- 3 Brush the cut sides generously with oil and place into a baking dish.
- 4 Put a lemon slice and a half-clove of garlic in-between the two halves of each aubergine.
- 5 Drizzle with the remaining oil and the lemon juice, and season with the spice mill.
- 6 Cover the dish with foil and roast for 40 minutes.
- 7 Remove the foil and roast for another 10 minutes, until just golden.
- 8 Serve drizzled with juices from the pan and scattered with fresh mint.