Beat the medium free-range eggs. Zest the oranges. Zest the lemons. Juice the oranges. Juice the lemons. Toast the flaked almonds.
- 1 You will need a 23cm round, deep cake tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- 2 For the cake, mix together the almonds, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk the oil with the eggs and pour onto the dry ingredients. Add the grated rinds and mix well. Pour into the prepared cake tin and place in a cold oven.
- 3 Turn the temperature to 180’C (160’C fan) gas 4 and bake for 40-50 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch. If the surface browns too quickly, lay a piece of greaseproof paper over the top.
- 4 Meanwhile make the syrup: place all the ingredients in a small pan, bring to the boil, stirring occasionally then simmer for 5 minutes until syrupy. Set aside.
- 5 Carefully transfer the cake onto a rimmed plate. Using a sharp- tipped knife, score the surface of the cake then drizzle on the syrup, letting it soak into the sponge. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- 6 Just before serving scatter on some toasted flaked almonds.
- 7 Variation: For individual puddings, you will need 8 x 150ml pudding basins, base-lined with a ring of greaseproof paper. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
This cake is delicious and had a lovely tangy taste. It also is easy to make and a great alternative gluten free cake.
Unclear recipe: have ingredients been repeated in the list by mistake?