Cut the iceberg lettuces into strips. Cut the limes into wedges. Grate the mature Cheddar. Peel, halve and stone the ripe avocados. Juice the limes. Chop the fresh coriander. Chop the red onions. Drain the tinned red kidney beans.
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Generously brush the tortillas on both sides with the oil. Cut into quarters.
- 3 Place on baking sheets, and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden and slightly crisp.
- 4 To make the guacamole, put the avocado flesh into a mixing bowl with the coriander, lime juice, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Mash together with a fork or potato masher until you have a chunky texture. Set aside.
- 5 For the refried beans, heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion for 2 minutes.
- 6 Add the kidney beans and mash to a paste with a potato masher.
- 7 Stir in 50ml water per 4 servings, and the grated cheese. Heat until the cheese has melted, then season.
- 8 To serve, place the tortilla quarters, guacamole, refried beans, cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomato salsa and lime wedges in bowls on the table for everyone to assemble their own tostadas to taste. Eat like a slice of pizza.
For the Guacamole
Delicious with home-made salsa too!
Quick. Easy. Great little Mexican starter for friends to share.