Slice the leeks. Coarsely grate the mature Cheddar.
- 1 Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, gently melt the butter in a non-stick pan, add the leeks and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- 2 Take the pan off the hob, stir through the flour then cook for a few seconds more, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat.
- 3 Gradually add the milk (retaining 25ml per serving being made for later), stirring continuously.
- 4 Return to the hob, increase the heat slightly then bring the milk gradually to the boil, stirring continuously. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5 Stir in half the cheese and season, adding the remaining milk if it looks too thick.
- 6 Drain the pasta thoroughly, tip into a lightly buttered shallow baking dish, then pour over the cheese and leek sauce and mix well.
- 7 Sprinkle over the remaining cheese then place under a hot grill for 5 minutes or until the top is brown and crispy.
- Average per serving
- Calories 575.0kCal