Shave the dark chocolate. Sieve the icing sugar. Separate the eggs. Add extra for greasing and dice the salted butter. Break the dark chocolate into pieces. Split the vanilla pods.
- 1 To make the fig compote, finely dice half the figs and set aside the remainder.
- 2 Put the brown sugar, vanilla pod and chopped figs in a saucepan with 2 tbsp water.
- 3 Simmer over a medium heat, stirring, for about 10 minutes until it looks like jam.
- 4 Remove the vanilla pod, cool completely, then cover and chill until needed (or for up to 5 days).
- 5 Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3.
- 6 Lightly grease three 19cm sandwich tins, and line the bases and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- 7 Melt the chocolate and diced butter in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water.
- 8 Cool slightly, then stir in 75g caster sugar and 2 egg yolks.
- 9 Mix in the remaining egg yolks, then the ground almonds and baking powder.
- 10 Whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- 11 Gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar until the meringue mixture is stiff and glossy.
- 12 Loosen the chocolate mixture with a spoonful of meringue mixture, then fold in the rest with a spatula or metal spoon.
- 13 Divide the batter among the prepared tins and bake for about 25 minutes, until risen and just-firm on the surface.
- 14 Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out on wire racks and let cool completely.
- 15 They will sink slightly.
- 16 To serve, cut the each remaining fig into six wedges.
- 17 Put one cake on a serving plate, flat side up.
- 18 Lightly whip the cream and yogurt with the icing sugar until it just holds its shape.
- 19 Dollop spoonfuls of the fig compote over the cream.
- 20 Spread one third of the cream and fig compote mixture on top of the first cake (don’t go right to the edge), being careful not to overmix.
- 21 The fig compote should be marbled in clear streaks through the cream mixture.
- 22 Top with a scant layer of fig wedges.
- 23 Place the second cake on top, flat side up, and repeat the marbled cream and fig layers.
- 24 Top with the final cake (flat side down) and spread with the final third of marbled cream.
- 25 Arrange the remaining fig wedges on top.
- 26 Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with chocolate shavings, to finish, if you like.