Zest the lemons. Lightly beat the eggs. Soften the butter. Sift the self-raising flour. Soften the butter. Sift the icing sugar.
For the Sponge
For the Icing
For the Decoration
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Butter 2 x 18cm round cake tins per cake being made and line with non-stick baking paper.
- 2 Beat together the butter, sugar and zest until fluffy.
- 3 Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition. (If the mixture begins to curdle, add a spoonful of flour with each addition of egg.)
- 4 Lightly fold in the flour.
- 5 Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are just firm to the touch.
- 6 Cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- 7 To make the icing, beat together the lemon zest and butter, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Add just enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.
- 8 When the cakes are cool, spread one with half the icing, then place the other on top and spread with the remaining icing. Leave for 2 hours to allow the icing to set.
- 9 Heat the sugar and 50ml water per cake being made in a saucepan. When the sugar dissolves, add the lemon peel and simmer for 30 seconds
- 10 Leave to cool, then use to decorate the top of the cake.
- Average per serving
- Calories 505.0kCal