Sift the icing sugar. Toast the flaked almonds.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3, 10 minutes before baking. Line a Swiss roll tin with a single sheet of greaseproof or baking paper and reserve.
- 2 Whisk the egg whites until stiff and standing in peaks then gradually whisk in the sugar 1 spoonful at a time. When all the sugar has been added, carefully stir in the almond essence, vinegar and then the ground almonds. Mix lightly together.
- 3 Turn into the lined Swiss roll tin smooth the top and tap the tin lightly on the work surface to remove any air bubbles.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is pale golden and feels firm and set. Remove from the oven and leave until cold.
- 5 When ready to serve, whip the crème fraiche until thick, reserve. Invert the cooled roulade onto a large sheet of greaseproof or baking paper, sprinkle with the icing sugar and carefully strip off the lining paper. Spread with the lemon curd and then the crème fraiche.
- 6 Leave for a few minutes to allow the roulade to soften then carefully roll up. (You will find that the roulade cracks slightly on rolling).
- 7 Place on a serving platter, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and decorate with the raspberries and serve.
The tang with the sweetness goes incredibly well . In one word it's scrumptious!👍🏻