Chop the garlic cloves. Peel the shallots. Thinly slice the lemons. Tear the fresh thyme sprigs.
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a 30cm casserole pan over a medium to high heat.
- 2 Season the chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook until both sides are golden brown for about 15 minutes.
- 3 Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Now brown the shallots in the same way. Once golden add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- 4 Return the chicken to the pan. Add the potatoes, carrots and lemon slices.
- 5 Scatter over the herbs then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and cook covered over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- 6 Remove the lid and simmer gently for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through hand the liquid has reduced.
I agree with other comments. I followed other people’s tips, made approx. 700 ml of broth, used half a lemon and finished it off for 15 min in the oven. My husband and I loved it!
Tasty hotpot. The sauce was delicious. Will cook it in the oven next time rather than leaving to simmer so the chicken gets a bit crispier and the sauce reduces.
Tasty (although I used lime instead of lemon which turned out a bit too bitter!), I would recommend maybe cooking in the oven or without the lid as it didn't reduce very well but overall a lovely dish!
An enjoyable dish, chicken very tender & moist, but it's difficult getting the chicken stock to reduce sufficiently, despite oven cooking .
Delicious one pot meal with easy to follow instructions. Very fresh tasting and a perfect Spring dish.
Great recipe, but I think it needs altering slightly. Second time around I used half a litre of stock instead of a litre, and I finished it off in oven (190 degrees for 20 mins) to reduce the stock better and get a nice crispiness to the chicken.
I followed the advice of other reviews (1/2 the stock, finished in the oven instead of the hob) and the result was a lovely, lemony almost stew-like one pot. The lemon went soft enough to eat (peel as well!) and the shallots were delicious. Amazing! Will do it again in the same way.
Fantastic Recipe, Took advice from previous Reviews and finished in the oven at 190oC for 20 Mins with the first 5 Mins uncovered, and then covered for final 15 Mins. Delicious Meal, everything cooked Perfectly. Look forward to Cooking it again, and trying out the rest of the recipes on the App! Well done M&S on a great App, easy to follow, and even better with in App timers.
Lovely recipe! Like others I used less stock than recommended in the recipe (I also included a dash of white wine), the result is a very tasty dish!
This was super duper tasty!!! Took the advice to put in oven for 15 mins and it worked a treat.
Tasty but the lemon was a bit too bitter for my liking
Why no calories counter on this recipe?
Super duper tasty lovely recipe