Finely grate the lemon. Soften the unsalted butter. Very finely chop the fresh rosemary.
- 1 In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light in colour and consistency.
- 2 Beat in the flour, a pinch of salt, rosemary and zest, then form a soft, pliable dough using your hands.
- 3 Wrap in cling-film and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- 4 Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 5 (160°C for fan ovens).
- 5 Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1cm thick. Using a 5cm biscuit cutter, cut out as many biscuits as you can, re-rolling any dough trimmings.
- 6 Put the biscuits on a couple of greased baking trays and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until they just turn lightly golden.
- 7 While still hot, sprinkle the biscuits with caster sugar, then leave to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Best shortcake recipe I've used
Easy and tasty
Really easy recipe to follow, tasted great! Will make them again.
Easy recipe for delicious shortbread!!! I would definitely follow this recipe again and try with different flavours.
Very easy recipe! I've made them a few times now, I've found that using salted butter seems to make the shortbread taste better and I've also made a chocolate chip version which are just as delicious!
These Lemon and Rosemary Shortbreads were DELICIOUS! Will definitely be making them again.