Finely slice the leeks. Chop the smoked streaky bacon. Whizz the white bread into crumbs. Grate the mature Cheddar.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 (180 ̊C for fan ovens).
- 2 Heat the oil in a frying pan, and gently cook the leeks for 6-8 minutes until soft; remove and set aside.
- 3 Fry the chopped bacon until crispy, then set aside. Move on to the next step while you wait for the bacon to cook.
- 4 Meanwhile, cook the macaroni for 5 minutes, drain, then return to the pan.
- 5 Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- 6 Over a very low heat, gradually stir in the milk. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously, until smooth and thickened.
- 7 Stir in the mustard and half the cheese, then season to taste.
- 8 Add the leeks and bacon to the macaroni, stir well, pour over the sauce, then toss together to coat. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.
- 9 Mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese, season with black pepper and scatter over the macaroni.
- 10 Bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling around the edges.
Fab, tasty quick tea. Didn’t have Dijon mustard but wholegrain did the job just as well. Will be making again!
Just had this for our dinner and it was lovely it was so tasty so filling.
Absolutely delicious!! I did double up on the cheese as a precaution as I'm a cheese fiend and I hate Mac n Cheese that doesn't taste like cheese has been anywhere near it, and it was perfect! The bacon and leeks add a great twist!
Very nice, but I'd make more sauce next time and I don't think the cheese I used was so tasty, so I'd get more flavoursome cheese
Made a double quantity of this & put it in the freezer - but it won't be in there long - it's delicious.
Made this for the family tonight, clean plates! Really tasty, will definitely make it again
Love this recipe and the ability to change amount per person even better. I didn't have bread crumbs so used pulsed cauliflower, tasted fab!
Just make this again but added mushroom to it also used 1 oz red cheese which was Mark & Spencer cheese plus strong white cheese and it was lovely can't wait to try the other recipes
Cheese and bacon macaroni bake.
A favourite in my house!! love this recipes
Another amazing rec from m&s!! Kids loved it and I would not change a thing.
A delicious, savoury dish, perfect comfort food when the snow is lying outside as it is today! Prep took a little longer than suggested but well worth it on tasting the result. The sauce itself is lovely...might be an idea to make double quantity and freeze half of it for use in another dish!
Just lovely, a quick, easy supper.
Top notch supper, had the leftovers cold for lunch the next day and it was just as good!
Made this wheat free and whole family loved it.
Tried this using the exact recipe with no changes , was so tasty . Will definatly be making this again - real good comfort food
Really tasty, great recipe. Needs a lot of seasoning, and would benefit from a dash of white wine in the sauce.
Substituted leek and bacon for tuna and Sweetcorn :)
- Average per serving
- Calories 640.0kCal