Finely chop the onions. Crush the garlic cloves.
- 1 Soak the porcini mushrooms in 400ml boiling water for 20 minutes.
- 2 Drain, reserving the soaking liquor, then roughly chop and set aside.
- 3 Heat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1.
- 4 Season the flour with salt and pepper, then toss the venison in the flour.
- 5 Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole, add the venison and fry over a medium heat until browned all over.
- 6 Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 7 Add the onion, garlic and porcini mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- 8 Stir in the spices and tomato purée and cook for 30 seconds.
- 9 Stir in the wine and reserved soaking liquor.
- 10 Return the venison to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 11 Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 1½ hours.
- 12 Just before the time is up, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and add the chestnut mushrooms.
- 13 Fry for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally until golden.
- 14 Stir the mushrooms into the casserole.
- 15 Good served with creamy mashed potatoes.
Go easy on the cloves! Otherwise very tasty.