Cut the onions into wedges.
- 1 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
- 2 Take the turkey out of the fridge either the night before or first thing in the morning so it’s up to room temperature.
- 3 Remove the turkey from the packaging and remove the giblets from the back of the turkey.
- 4 Remove the wishbone, this makes carving the breast meat a lot easier. Point a sharp knife into the turkey and then work in a rocking motion against the wishbone either side. Now slip your fingers in beside the bone where you can pull it away from the meat on either side.
- 5 Massage the turkey skin with oil then add seasoning, pay particular attention to the top and legs.
- 6 Cook the bird upside down, so that the breast meat stays moist and succulent.
- 7 Cover it with foil then into the oven for approximately 2.5 hours, depending on the weight of the bird.
- 8 Remove the foil and turn it breast side up for the last 30 minutes to get the delicious crispy skin.
- 9 Remove from the oven and cover with foil and leave to rest for around 20-30 minutes.
- 10 Remove the strings. Take off the wings and drive your knife through the centre of the bone.
- 11 Then remove the legs. Slice down beside the breast and the leg meat. Prize it away with a fork and you hear it click out of the socket.
- 12 Now take off the scrumptious breast meat, start with a very sharp knife down the centre and then work off to the left hand side of the breastbone.
- 13 Rather than slicing it on the turkey, take the meat off of the carcass and slice it individually, your delicious Christmas turkey is ready to serve.