Halve, pit and peel the Peruvian Hass avocados. Slice the tomatoes. Drain the tuna steak or chunks in sunflower oil. Grate the mature Cheddar cheese.
- 1 Preheat the grill.
- 2 Toast the bread lightly on both sides.
- 3 Mash one of the avocados and spread it over the toast.
- 4 Keep the grill on – you’ll be using it again.
- 5 Put the toast onto a baking sheet and top with sliced tomatoes, sliced avocados and flaked tuna – reserving 4 slices of avocado.
- 6 Season with salt and pepper.
- 7 Put the butter, grated cheese, Worcestershire sauce, wholegrain mustard and flour into a bowl and mix well.
- 8 Share between the toasts and grill until bubbling and golden.
- 9 Serve, topped with the reserved avocado, sprinkled with a little more black pepper.
I have to say in my opinion this sounded a lot nicer than it was. The ratio of cold ingredients to hot is not balanced. Although my tuna, tomatoes and avocado were all at room temperature they overwhelmed the bubbling hot cheese resulting in an overall unpleasantly luke warm dish. If I ever make it again I think I will leave the tomato and avocado off the toast and serve separately as an accompanying salad.
Delicious! But you could halve the amount of avocado and it would still be plenty.