Half lengthways, wash and finely slice the medium leeks. Separate the leaves and stalks of the thyme and discard of the stalks. Cut into lardons the smoked streaky bacon. Grate the Gruyère.
- 1 Heat the olive oil and butter together in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- 2 Add the leek, thyme and bacon, season well with black pepper and cook over a very low heat for 15 minutes, until the fat has rendered out of the bacon and the leeks are starting to caramelise.
- 3 Empty the sachet of scone mix into a bowl with the salt and rub in the butter until you have something that resembles breadcrumbs.
- 4 Stir in the gruyère, leek and bacon.
- 5 Mix in the milk to make a soft dough.
- 6 Roll the dough to a depth of 2-2.5cm and cut out scones with a 7cm cutter.
- 7 Place onto a lined baking sheet, brush with milk and bake at 180°C for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- 8 Eat warm, split and spread with good salted butter.