- 1 Preheat the oven to 220’C (fan 200’C) gas 8. Put a round lidded casserole dish (approx.4 litre or 23 cm dia.) in the oven to heat up.
- 2 Mix the milk with the lemon juice and leave to stand for 5 minutes during which time the milk will curdle and become soured.
- 3 Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl then add most of the soured milk. Work from the centre, mixing with one hand and add more milk if necessary - the dough should be soft but not sticky.
- 4 Roughly shape the dough into a shallow round loaf about 4cm thick. Remove the hot casserole dish from the oven, dust the inside lightly with flour then drop the dough in. Cover with the lid and return to the oven.
- 5 Bake for 25 minutes then remove from oven and leave in place for 5 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool slightly before eating.
Delicious great with soup and also toasted the next few days. So easy to make.
A nice bread, but it needs to bake for more than 25 minutes. 35-40 minutes is much better or else it is raw on the inside.