Thinly slice the white baguette. Very finely slice lengthways the fennel bulbs. Tear the baby gem lettuces. Crumble the Welsh Goat’s Cheese. Very finely grate the ginger. Slice the British outdoor-grown rhubarb into thin rounds.
- 1 Put the cider vinegar, sugar, ginger, star anise, peppercorns and bay leaf in a saucepan with 150ml water, and bring to the boil.
- 2 Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- 3 Remove from the heat and strain into a heatproof bowl.
- 4 Add the rhubarb to the hot pickling liquid, making sure it is submerged.
- 5 Cover and set aside until the liquid has cooled completely.
- 6 Once cooled, drain the rhubarb and retain the pickling liquid for the salad dressing.
- 7 While the rhubarb is cooling, make the croutons.
- 8 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 9 Put the bread on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
- 10 Bake until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- 11 To make the dressing, whisk 3 tbsp pickling liquid with 3 tbsp olive oil.
- 12 Put the croutons, fennel and lettuce in a bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- 13 Divide between 2 plates, along with the rhubarb and cheese.
- 14 Season to taste.