- 1 You will need 2 x 20cm round cake tins lined with greaseproof paper, leaving a 2.5cm collar above the rim, and a piping bag and star nozzle.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 180’C (160’C fan) gas 4. For the sponge, whisk the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence and egg yolks, beating well.
- 3 Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold through, lightly but thoroughly, adding the milk a little at a time. Spoon the mixture between 2 tins and spread the mixture evenly with the back of a spoon.
- 4 Now make the meringue topping: whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff but not dry, add half the caster sugar and whisk again until glossy then fold in the remaining sugar.
- 5 Spread the meringue on top of each sponge base and sprinkle one of the meringue surfaces with the almonds.
- 6 Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until risen and the meringue tinged brown. Turn out carefully and leave to cool on a wire rack, sponge side down.
- 7 Whisk the cream until it begins to hold its shape then pipe onto the cake without the almonds. Gently drizzle on the summer berry jam then place the remaining half of the cake on top. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with some whole fresh berries.