Warm the milk. Cook and peel the brown shrimp. Finely chop the dill.
- 1 To make the muffins, rub the butter into the mix to resemble breadcrumbs.
- 2 Add the nutmeg, egg and milk and mix to form a soft, sticky dough and knead for 10 minutes by hand on a lightly oiled surface, or for 5 minutes in a mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- 3 Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave for 1 hour.
- 4 On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1cm thickness.
- 5 Cut out muffins using a 7.5cm cutter and place on a lightly floured baking tray and dust the muffins with flour.
- 6 Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- 7 Preheat a non-stick frying pan the lowest heat.
- 8 Gently transfer the muffins onto a dry pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- 9 To make the potted shrimp, melt the butter gently in a non-stick saucepan.
- 10 Add the mace, cayenne pepper, white pepper and some grated nutmeg, along with the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- 11 Split and toast the muffins under the grill, until golden.
- 12 Toss the shrimp in the spiced butter with the chopped dill and stir to coat them and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 13 Spoon the shrimps onto the hot muffins, top with a sprig of dill and serve with lemon wedges.