Slice the leek. Reserve the leaves of the celery and slice the stalks. Peel and roughly chop the potatoes. Crumble the blue stilton cheese.
For the Soup
For the Cheese Straws
And the rest...
- 1 Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the sliced celery stalks, leek and potatoes and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- 3 Whizz until smooth using an electric blender or a hand-held stick blender, then return to the saucepan and set aside.
- 4 For the cheese straws, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- 5 Rub in the butter to form fine breadcrumbs.
- 6 Stir in the cheese.
- 7 Whisk the egg yolk with the water and mix into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
- 8 Wrap in cling-film and chill for 20 minutes.
- 9 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 10 Roll out the dough to a rectangle the thickness of a pound coin.
- 11 Cut into 2cm wide strips, then transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- 12 Stir the cream into the soup and gently reheat without boiling.
- 13 Check the seasoning and ladle into bowls. Add the reserved celery leaves, some freshly ground black pepper and serve with the cheese straws.
A simple to make soup with a lovely delicate flavour. Loved it.